Mumbai Marathon 2024

Participating in the Mumbai Marathon was an experience I had always longed for. The journey began when my friend asked me to register for the event in August, even though the marathon was scheduled for January 2024. The commitment seemed premature, but I went ahead and registered. I wasn't too worried about the preparation as I had previously run a half marathon and, along with my husband Rajesh and son Rishit, I had been running for an hour daily for the past three years. Moreover, my biweekly yoga and pilates sessions helped build my strength and stamina. Five weeks prior to the marathon, I completed a long run training with my running buddies, which boosted my confidence in my running abilities.

I've always had three simple goals for every run: to run injury-free, to ensure a short recovery time, and most importantly, to enjoy the run. I'm pleased to say that I achieved all three in this marathon.

The primary challenge was running in a different city and navigating the logistics of reaching the venue in the early morning. We booked a hotel near the Mahim bus depot, Bandra West, and flew in a day before the run. Upon landing, we headed straight to the Expo for bib pick-up. Despite the Expo being well-organized, we couldn't spend much time there and instead, checked into our hotel early. The hotel was situated in a busy corner of an old apartment building, which initially seemed chaotic, but the presence of other runners staying in the same hotel provided some comfort.

On the day of the marathon, the flag off was a rather low-key affair compared to other runs I had participated in. The non-competitive and casual attitudes of the runners came as pleasant surprise to me. As I started running, the overwhelming realization that I was finally running this marathon struck me, especially as the well-lit Bandra-Worli Sea Link came into view. The entire run was a celebration, complete with singing, dancing, and peppy music. What set this run apart was the crowd lining the route, cheering us on and offering food items like salt, jaggery, oranges, and biscuits. This support from the crowd, coupled with the well-planned route and the festive atmosphere, made the run a memorable experience.

Running a marathon is not just good for physical health, but also teaches you; patience, self-control, self-belief, and the ability to let go while staying in the race. This marathon was a truly cherished experience, one that I'll remember forever.

Comments

  1. Well done dear Leena..it must be a wonderful experience. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meditation at Kanha – an Enriching Experience

Trip to Himachal Peaks - a summer sojourn